Spanish Grand Prix Practice Roundup
Vettel on top in Spanish Grand Prix Practice
Sebastian Vettel led Alonso and fellow Red Bull driver, Mark Webber in Spanish Grand Prix Practice. Vettel will be pleased that the developments made by Red Bull appear to have kept the World Championship leader ahead of the field going into the Spanish Grand Prix. The fastest lap, a 1:22.808 was set on the faster Medium Pirelli tyres.
Friday Practice 1
Spanish Grand Prix Practice 1 was hindered by poor weather conditions at the start of the session. For over half the session, drivers were forced to use the Intermediate tyre and only towards the end of the session were they able to use the new Pirelli Hard compound tyre.
FP1 ended with a crescendo of action resulting in local star Fernando Alonso leading his Ferrari teammate, Felipe Massa who finished second. Championship leader, Sebastian Vettel failed to set a competitive lap time in dry conditions resulting in a lap 4.205s slower than Alonso while Jenson Button did not set a time in either climatic condition.
The F1 teams were desperate to gain as much dry running to test new parts developed over the three-week break. The afternoon session will focus more on these aerodynamic changes and dry set up ahead of Saturday’s Qualifying session.
1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m25.252s
2. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m25.455s + 0.203s
3. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m25.667s + 0.415s
4. Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1m26.042s + 0.790s
5. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m26.212s + 0.960s
6. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1m26.374s + 1.122s
7. Valtteri Bottas Williams-Renault 1m26.456s + 1.204s
8. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus-Renault 1m26.614s + 1.362s
9. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m26.621s + 1.369s
10. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m26.755s + 1.503s
Friday Practice 2
Vettel led the second practice session ahead of Fernando Alonso with the dry conditions allowing the teams to test developments to the cars.
A spin by Lewis Hamilton and a tyre delamination on the Force India of Paul di Resta were notable points in the session. Further question marks will be asked of Pirelli as the tyre delamination seemed very similar to the problems seen by Lewis Hamilton in Bahrain.
Both Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel look strong for pole position for this years race with only 0.017s separating them in Spanish Grand Prix Practice 2.
1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m22.808s
2. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m22.825s + 0.017s
3. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m22.891s + 0.083s
4. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus-Renault 1m23.030s + 0.222s
5. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m23.110s + 0.302s
6. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1m23.140s + 0.332s
7. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m23.398s + 0.590s
8. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m23.840s + 1.032s
9. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m24.058s + 1.250s
10. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m24.104s + 1.296s
Follow all the action for the 2013 Spanish Grand Prix online with Grand Prix Line. Weekend updates will be available via our Facebook page: Facebook.com/GrandPrixLine and through our Twitter feed:Twitter.com/GrandPrixLine. Be sure to Like and Follow us to receive updates straight to your news feed.