Monaco Grand Prix Qualifying
Nico Rosberg secures pole-position on the streets of Monaco.
In a rain-affected qualifying Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg secured pole-position. He set a fastest time of 1m13.8s on the super-soft compound as the track dried out sufficiently in Q3. Team-mate Lewis Hamilton will join him on the front row ahead of Championship leader, Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull).
Red Bull’s Mark Webber secured P4 by over half a second from Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus).
The Finn’s team-mate, Romain Grosjean, could only manage P13 as he dropped out in Q2, unable to find the pace needed after missing FP3 due to a crash in the previous practice session.
Fernando Alonso will have to make do on Sunday without support from Felipe Massa, who will start from the back of the grid after he found the wall at Sainte Devote during FP3.
The McLarens of Segio Perez and Jenson start in seventh and ninth, respectively. Force India’s Adrian Sutil is nestled between the pair in P8, with the top ten rounded off by Jean Eric-Vergne (Toro Rosso).
Sauber’s Nico Hulkenberg set the eleventh quickest time ahead of Toro Rosso’s Daniel Ricciardo who is in 12th.
Caterham’s Giedo van der Garde took advantage of a drying track in Q2 to set the 15th fastest time, placed between the two Williamses of Valtteri Bottas and Pastor Maldonado.
Paul di Resta was arguably the biggest casualty in the wet conditions as he failed to get his Force India out of Q3, and as a result will start Sunday’s race in 17th. Behind him will be Charles Pic (Caterham), Esteban Guiterrez (Sauber), and Max Chilton (Marussia).
Chilton’s Marussia team-mate Jules Bianchi will start in 21st alongside Massa due to a mechanical failure on his out-lap which prevented him from setting a time.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m13.876s
2. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1m13.967s + 0.091s
3. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m13.980s + 0.104s
4. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m14.181s + 0.305s
5. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus-Renault 1m14.822s + 0.946s
6. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m14.824s + 0.948s
7. Sergio Perez McLaren-Mercedes 1m15.138s + 1.262s
8. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m15.383s + 1.507s
9. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m15.647s + 1.771s
10. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m15.703s + 1.827s
Q2 cut-off time: 1m17.748s Gap **
11. Nico Hulkenberg Sauber-Ferrari 1m18.331s + 2.343s
12. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m18.344s + 2.356s
13. Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1m18.603s + 2.615s
14. Valtteri Bottas Williams-Renault 1m19.077s + 3.089s
15. Giedo van der Garde Caterham-Renault 1m19.408s + 3.420s
16. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault 1m21.688s + 5.700s
Q1 cut-off time: 1m26.095s Gap *
17. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m26.322s + 2.870s
18. Charles Pic Caterham-Renault 1m26.633s + 3.181s
19. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari 1m26.917s + 3.465s
20. Max Chilton Marussia-Cosworth 1m27.303s + 3.851s
21. Jules Bianchi Marussia-Cosworth
22. Felipe Massa Ferrari
107% time: 1m29.293s
* Gap to quickest in Q1
** Gap to quickest in Q2